POSTED: Thursday November 19th 2009
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Unprecedented International Support for Peace through Sport
Over 400 decision-makers from 80 countries and 50 high-profile speakers are meeting to debate the issue of peace through sport over 3 days
Monaco - 19 November 2009: An influential community of decision-makers from sport, politics and the private sector will get together next week in Monaco for the 3rd Peace and Sport International Forum to put sport at the service of sustainable peace in the world.
Placed under the High Patronage of H.S.H. Prince Albert II of Monaco, this summit meeting will unite over 400 prominent personalities and experts from 80 countries to debate a major issue: how to promote and encourage policies and grassroots initiatives that, through sport, aim to relieve social tension and the consequences of conflict in the world.
Bouzou, President and Founder of Peace and Sport, explains: “To achieve
peace in the world is a major concern of inter-governmental institutions as
well as citizens and all responsible entities in our international community.
Today, sport is increasingly proving to be a legitimate and efficient
instrument to achieve this objective.
The community dedicated to committing or increasing their involvement in this initiative is on the rise, as shown by the growing success of the International Forum. Peace and Sport’s networking platform is designed to federate, enhance and encourage all initiatives and persons wishing to act to put sport at the service of peace”.
Who will participate in the 3rd Peace and Sport International Forum?
- 45 governments (Heads of State, Prime Ministers, Ministers of Sport and Ambassadors),
- Major international organizations (including the UN, the World Bank, the Council of Europe, the International Peace Bureau, etc.),
- Many members of the International Olympic Committee (Thomas BACH, Sergey BUBKA, Carlos Arthur NUZMAN, Mohamed MZALI…),
- At least 30 National Olympic Committees,
- 25 International Olympic and non-Olympic Sports Federations,
- Organizing committees of major sports events (Sochi 2014, Rio 2016, Youth Olympic Games…)
- Nearly 50 leading Non-Governmental Organisations (Right to Play, Sport Sans Frontières, British Council, Play Soccer, Education 4 Peace Foundation …),
- Prestigious universities (University for Peace, Swiss Academy for Development…),
- Companies from the private sector,
- Famous sports champions.
50 High-profile speakers will animate the 3-day conference, including:
- H.E. Dr. Danilo TÜRK, President of the Republic – Republic of Slovenia
- Prof. Federico MAYOR, President - Foundation for a Culture of Peace
- Ms. Rama YADE, Secretary of State for Sports – France
- Mr. Amir DOSSAL, Executive Director – UNOP (United Nations Office for Partnerships)
- H.R.H. Prince Nawaf Faisal Fahd ABDULAZIZ, IOC Member,
- Mr. Wilfried LEMKE, Special Adviser to the UN Secretary General on Sport for Development and Peace
- Dr. Ralf-René WEINGARTNER, Director of Youth and Sport – Council of Europe
- Mr. Jean-Edouard BAKER, President – Haitian Olympic Committee
- Mr. Patrick MCQUAID, President – UCI (Union Cycliste Internationale)
- H.E. Mr. Dae-Ki KIM, Vice Minister of Culture, Sports and Tourism - Republic of Korea
- H.E. Dr. Vivian BALAKRISHNAN, Minister for Community Development, Youth and Sports, Republic of Singapore
- Mr. Georges VANDERCHMITT, President, Carat Sport
- Mr. Simon BALDERSTONE, General Manager of the Sydney 2000 Olympic Bid General Manager.
For the first time, the Forum is organized in partnership with the United Office for Partnerships, the UN Office for Sport at the service of Development and Peace, and with the pressagency Agence France-Presse.
About Peace and Sport
“Peace and Sport, L’Organisation pour la Paix par le Sport” is a neutral and apolitical international initiative.
Peace and Sport puts sport and its structuring values at the heart of development projects led within communities in crisis around the world. With interventions in post-conflict zones, extremely poor areas and areas lacking social cohesion, Peace and Sport makes sport a vehicle for tolerance, respect, sharing and citizenship at the service of sustainable peace.
Supported by governments, world sport governing bodies, international organizations, major international private companies and international sports champions, Peace and Sport creates synergies between various different stakeholders to carry out four types of action:
- Organizing an annual International Forum (next edition in Monaco, 25 -27 November 2009)
- A Resource Centre for sport and peace,
- The Peace and Sport Awards, to reward individuals and initiatives contributing to peace,
- Locally-Based Projects; concrete actions in various regions of crisis in the world.
Today, Peace and Sport has operations in Cote d’Ivoire, Burundi, Israel-Palestine, Timor Leste, Colombia and plans to intervene in Haiti in the near future.
Peace and Sport was founded by Joel Bouzou, current President of the organisation. Mr. Bouzou is an Olympic medallist, world champion of Modern Pentathlon and current Secretary General for the International Union of Modern Pentathlon (UIPM). He is also an Advisor to H.S.H. Prince Albert II of Monaco.
The Peace and Sport International Forum is open to the press.
To apply for an accreditation, please contact:
# # #
Name: Valerie Amant
Organization: Peace and Sport
Phone: +377. 9797.7800
Please refer all questions to the company listed above issuing the press release. SFC will not be able to assist you with any inquiries and disclaims any content in these press releases.