LA84 Foundation and LA 2024 partner together for the Festival of Books
MARISSA FLANDERS / Sports Features Communications
(SFC) A partnership between LA84 Foundation and LA 2024 will result in having Olympians, prizes, authors, and Sam the Eagle to the University of Southern California's (USC) campus for the Festival of Books from April 22-23, 2017.
Los Angeles is bidding against Paris to host the 2024 summer Games and the final choice will be voted in September in a few months.
"LA84's partnership with LA 2024 at the Festival of Books is another great example of our #PlayingForward the Olympic spirit that inspires us all," expressed LA84 Foundation President and CEO, Renata Simril.
The LA84 Foundation has built and maintained strong bonds for over three decades with Olympians and Paralympians. These bonds will be combined with LA84's world-class library and archives that contain more than 90,000 documents. Also, with the active involvement of Olympians and Paralympians in LA 2024's bidding efforts, a stellar line-up of authors was made possible.
Attendees can expect the following appearances at Booth #139:
· Chris Epting - Co-author of "Making Waves: My Journey to Winning Olympic Gold and Defeating the East German Doping Program"
· Cindy Whitehead - Author of "It's Not about Pretty: A Book about Radical Skater Girls"
· David Davis - Author of "One Golden Moment: The 1984 Olympics Through the Photographic Lens of the Los Angeles Herald Examiner"
· Donna De Varona - Author of "More Than a Game: One Woman's Fight for Gender Equity in sport" and two-time Olympic Gold Medalist (Swimming)
· Gary Visconti - Author of "Falling for the Win" and former Olympic Figure Skater
· George Hirthler - Author of "The Idealist: The Story of Baron Pierre de Coubertin"
· John Naber - Author of "Awaken the Olympian Within: Stories from America's Greatest Olympic Motivators" and Olympic Gold Medalist (Swimming)
· Julie Foudy - Forthcoming author of "Choose to Matter: Being Courageously and Fabulously YOU" and two-time Olympic Gold Medalist (Soccer)
· Molly Schiot - Author of "Game Changers: The Unsung Heroines of Sports History"
· Olga Connolly - Author of "The Rings of Destiny" and Olympic Gold Medalist (Discus Thrower)
· Sam the Eagle - 1984 Summer Olympic Games' beloved mascot
· Shirley Babashoff - Co-author of "Making Waves: My Journey to Winning Olympic Gold and Defeating the East German Doping Program" and eight-time Olympic Medalist (Swimming)
LA 2024 Chairman, Casey Wasserman concluded, "On behalf of LA 2024, we are proud to join the LA84 Foundation at the Festival of Books. The festival-like atmosphere on USC's campus will be a preview of the excitement that the 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Games would bring to our community. That's why we at LA 2024 are so passionate about bringing the Games back to LA for a third time - the Games have the power to bring our city together and inspire the next generation. I'd like to extend a special thanks to the Angelenos who will bring their Olympic spirit to the event, and we hope to have the honor of standing alongside you to warmly welcome the world to the City of Angels in 2024."
** MARISSA FLANDERS is a graduate of Saint Leo University with a Bachelor's Degree in Sport Business. She has over four years of writing experience and has a real passion for ice hockey following the Pittsburgh Penguins on her blog www.thepenshockeyshow.com.
For more information contact:
Laura Walden ()
All original materials contained in this section are protected by United States copyright law and may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcast without the prior written permission of Sports Features Communications, Inc the owner of that content. It is prohibited to alter or remove any trademark, copyright or other notice from copies of the content.