POSTED: July 9th 2013
Tokyo racks up 20 official corporate sponsors backing the summer Olympics
LAURA WALDEN / Sports Features Communications
(SFC) Tokyo 2020 signs on its 20th sponsors giving a further boost to the bid’s corporate support to being the summer Games back to the city.
SEGA SAMMY HOLDINGS INC., one of the world’s leading interactive entertainment companies, and Nippon Life Insurance Company, Japan’s largest life insurance companies just added their names to the growing list of official bid partners.
Tokyo also has a reserve fund of US$4.5 billion dollars to run the Games already in the bank and puts itself forward as the most economically stable choice of the three bidding cities. Istanbul and Madrid both have challenges with Spain’s recession and 27 percent unemployment and Turkey has the highest budget at US$19.4 billion with $16.5 billion of that being used for city projects.
International Olympic Committee (IOC) member and President of both Tokyo 2020 and the Japanese Olympic Committee (JOC), Tsunekazu Takeda, noted, “I am delighted to welcome SEGA SAMMY HOLDINGS INC. and Nippon Life Insurance Company on board. The record breaking strong corporate sponsorship programme is a testament to the tremendous potential to attract sponsors during the Games. Tokyo 2020 offers certainty in uncertain times for sport.”
The IOC published their evaluation report just prior to the IOC Extraordinary session that was just held in Lausanne last week and gave good marks to Tokyo’s marketing program.
The Japanese bid projects that revenue from domestic sponsorship would total USD 932 million, with an additional USD 26 million for the Paralympic Games.
The IOC report stated: “Given the scale of the Japanese economy and the support for sport that has been demonstrated by the corporate sector, the overall revenue target is considered achievable”.
The new list of sponsors include:
- ASICS Corporation (manufacture and sales of sports goods)
- DESCENTE LTD. (manufacture and sales of sportswear and related articles)
- JTB Corp. (travel support services)
- Kinki Nippon Tourist Co., Ltd. (travel support services)
- Mizuno Corporation. (manufacture and sales of sports goods)
- All Nippon Airways Co., Ltd. (airline)
- Japan Airlines Co., Ltd. (airline)
- ALSOK / SOHGO Security Services Co., Ltd. (security services)
- Yahoo! JAPAN (internet search engine)
- GREE (social gaming platform)
- Yomiuri Shimbun (newspaper)
- Marudai Food Co., Ltd. (manufacture and sales of food)
- EH Inc. (manufacture of private labels)
- MARUHAN Corporation (amusement facilities)
- TOPTOUR Corporation (travel agency)
- Daiwa House Industry (homebuilder)
- Toyota Motor Corporation (automaker)
- AOKI Holdings (business wear)
- SEGA SAMMY HOLDINGS INC. (amusement facilities)
- Nippon Life Insurance Company (life insurance)
For more information contact:
Laura Walden ()
All original materials contained in this section are protected by United States copyright law and may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcast without the prior written permission of Sports Features Communications, Inc the owner of that content. It is prohibited to alter or remove any trademark, copyright or other notice from copies of the content.