POSTED: February 19th 2012
NewsUpdate

Madrid 2020: Compact bid plan enhanced by high speed rail connections

(L to R) President Alejandro Blanco, Mayor of Madrid Ana Botella and CEO Victor Sanchez / Madrid 2020
(L to R) President Alejandro Blanco, Mayor of Madrid Ana Botella and CEO Victor Sanchez / Madrid 2020

NIKKI WICKS / Sports Features Communications

LONDON: The city of Madrid has revealed key details of its “compact” bid to host the 2020 Olympic Games, including plans for all sub-venues to be connected by a high-speed rail.

The Spanish capital was one of five cities to formally submit their Application Files to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) last week and will battle it out with Baku, Doha, Istanbul and Tokyo in the race to host the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

Following its application to the IOC, which marks the city’s third Olympic bid following the 2012 and 2016 Games, the President of the Madrid 2020 organisation committee, Alejandro Blanco said they had presented “a solid and compact” project.

Madrid’s overarching bid concept includes a management system based on innovation, sustainability, strict control over expenses, transport and logistics and maximum accessibility.

Announcing details of its 2020 application, Madrid’s organisers unveiled plans for an AVE (high-speed rail) that will connect all of the Games sub-venues. Organisers also highlighted the fact that of the 36 sports venues within the bid proposal, 27 are already built.

The bid, hailed as the “Smart Games”, includes a compact proposal with two Olympic areas (Campo de las Naciones and Manzanares), with venues located in a maximum radius of 10km from the city centre, and an Olympic Village, close to all venues.

“We have presented a solid and compact project,” said Blanco.

“Not only we want to host the Games, but we now need them to meet our economic needs and support our well-trained youngsters,” he added.

 Commenting on Madrid’s bid, the city’s Mayor, Ana Botella said the economic returns would be “incalculable”.

The total budget for Madrid’s bid during its application and candidacy stages is said to be $38.6 million, of which 38% comes from public financing with private funding making up the remaining 62%.

Organisers also said that Madrid’s bid had the “unanimous support” of Spanish institutions and the general public (75% of the citizens of Madrid and 84% of the Spanish population).

After taking the decisive step for another Madrid Olympic bid, the city will now await the decision of the IOC next 23 May on which cities are to become candidate cities.

In the event that Madrid is elected, the city will have to meet the challenging schedule of the bid race including the submission of the bid dossier next 7 January 2013, the visit of the IOC Evaluation Commission between February and April 2013 and the presentation of the technical dossier before the IOC members in June.

The final decision on which city will host the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games will be made on 7 September 2013 in Buenos Aires.


Keywords · Madrid 2020 · Ana Botella · Alejandro Blanco · Victor Sanchez


For more information contact:
Laura Walden ()


All original materials contained in this section are protected by United States copyright law and may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcast without the prior written permission of Sports Features Communications, Inc the owner of that content. It is prohibited to alter or remove any trademark, copyright or other notice from copies of the content.