POSTED: July 16th 2010
NewsUpdate

Bogner confident that Munich's Winter Games bid for 2018 is safely on course

Willy Bogner: trying to take Munich's bid forward / lake images
Willy Bogner: trying to take Munich's bid forward / lake images

KEIR RADNEDGE / Sports Features Communications

LONDON/MUNICH, Jul 16: Willy Bogner has rejected suggestions of a crisis over Munich’s 2018 Winter Olympics bid. Bogner, bid ceo, was responding to media questions after claims of a disagreement over proposals for the involvement of nearby Garmisch-Partenkirchen.

The unique feature of the Munich bid is that, if it beat off competition from Annecy and PyeongChang when the IOC votes next July it would be the first city to have hosted both summer and winter Games. But that involves staging some ice events at Konigsee as well as Alpine events in Garmisch.

However a referendum in nearby Oberammergau rejected plans to use it as a centre for the cross-country and biathlon events and a similar referendum may yet be demanded in Garmisch.

The complications, in the current financial climate, had raised doubts over whether Munich can obtain guarantees for the essential funding and sponsorship. A further €3m was confirmed earlier this week, taking the total budget to €33m, albeit still short of the break-even target of €37m.

New questions about the direction of the bid were sparked by the announcement, at the end of last week and almost overshadowed by Germany’s performance at football’s World Cup, of a restructuring of the bid board. New arrivals are sports director Steffi Klein, communications head Jochen Färber and – arousing most interest - finance director Andreas Weinberger.

Bogner, ask if he had expected to meet resistance over the concept in general and revenue generation in particular, said: “No application of this sort has ever gone through without some sort of criticism and in total peace. But the Olympics are a world event and I believe there’s a significant consensus of opinion supporting our bid. People want the Games here.”

Further resources

The bid has circulated companies and governmental agencies in search of more funds but Bogner ignored a question about whether the bid was in financial danger.

He said: “It is clear that we cannot raise the entire amount from the present budget. We need a more solid financial base than we have now. We do not have a lot of time before the International Olympic Committee makes its decision and we still need to be sure of certain guarantees to cover possible shortfalls. But as soon as we have that bridging finance in place then there will be need to worry any further.”

Support for Bogner's confidence came from Bavaria's state president Horst Seehofer who said that further sponsors "were in the pipeline."

The bid book has to be submitted to the IOC on January 11.



Keywords · Munich 2018 · Olympic bidding · Winter Olympics · Willy Bogner · Horst Seehofer


For more information contact:
Laura Walden ()


All original materials contained in this section are protected by United States copyright law and may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcast without the prior written permission of Sports Features Communications, Inc the owner of that content. It is prohibited to alter or remove any trademark, copyright or other notice from copies of the content.