POSTED: 2012-06-22 11:06:22
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
LAURA WALDEN / Sports Features Communications
June 22 – In line with the International Olympic Committee (IOC) regulations the Tokyo 2020 bid has added a social networking feature to their official website but available only in Japan.
The IOC prohibits candidate cities from promoting themselves internationally until January of 2013.
The new social area features comments from Olympians and Paralympians, fashion designers, creative directors and many others sharing their personal reasons for supporting Tokyo’s bid to host the 2020 Games.
Ayano Egami, Sydney 2000 Games synchronised swimming silver medallist and Tokyo 2020 Head of Online and Social Media, said in a statement: “This feature is indicative of our continued actions to engage with people and showcase the energy and innovation behind the Tokyo 2020 bid. Social media is a powerful communications tool to share the many advantages that Tokyo offers, and we intend to further leverage online communications as we move forward with the Bid.
“The IOC and London 2012 have utilised social networking sites to the fullest and as a result have obtained a loyal following by the young generation. Learning from these two organisations, I find it imperative that Tokyo 2020 also utilises social networking sites in order to mobilise youth.”
Already comments in Japanese have come in from:
- Los Angeles 1984 Games judo gold medallist Yasuhiro Yamashita
- Fashion designer Junko Koshino
- Three-time consecutive speed skating Olympian Ikue Teshigawara
- 15 times Paralympic swimming gold medallist Mayumi Narita
- Seoul 1988 Games swimming gold medallist Suzuki Daichi
- Beijing 2008 Games swimming bronze medallist Junichi Miyashita
- Nagano 1998 Games and Turin 2006 Games Paralympic alpine gold medallist Kuniko Obinata
- Three-time consecutive volleyball Olympian Motoko Obayashi
- Athens 2004 Olympic Games swimming gold medallist Ai Shibata,
- Athens 2004 Games volleyball Olympian Kana Oyama,
- Award Winning Creative director Takuma Takasaki.
For more information contact:
Laura Walden ()
Keir Radnedge ()
All original materials contained in this section are protected by United States copyright law and may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcast without the prior written permission of Sports Features Communications, Inc the owner of that content. It is prohibited to alter or remove any trademark, copyright or other notice from copies of the content.